During the week of April 6, 2020 we will be flushing hydrants from 7am until 4pm in the vicinity of the following streets in Wilton:
Old Boston Road, Old Kings Highway, Tory Place, Borglum Road, Musket Ridge Road, Forge Road, Telva Road, Seir Hill Road, Deepwood Road, Belden Hill Road, Old Belden Hill Road, Silvermine Woods and North Seir Hill Road.
Beginning the week of April 13, 2020 we will be flushing hydrants from 7am until 4pm in the vicinity of the following streets in Norwalk (dates are subject to change):
|W CEDAR ST||4/13/2020||Mon|
|WEST NORWALK RD||4/14/2020||Tue|
|RIVER PARK DR||4/15/2020||Wed|
|WEST NORWALK RD||4/15/2020||Wed|
|SHADY BROOK LA||4/16/2020||Thu|
|RED BIRD LN||4/17/2020||Fri|
|DEVILS GARDEN RD||4/17/2020||Fri|
|MARTIN LUTHER KING D||4/20/2020||Mon|
|OLD TROLLEY PL||4/20/2020||Mon|
|NATHAN HALE RD||4/20/2020||Mon|
|DANCING BEAR RD||4/21/2020||Tue|
|BURCHARD LN NORTH||4/21/2020||Tue|
|TORY HILL RD||4/21/2020||Tue|
|OLD WITCH CT||4/21/2020||Tue|
|LITTLE BROOK RD||4/22/2020||Wed|
|GILBERT HILL RD||4/22/2020||Wed|
|STEEPLE TOP RD||4/23/2020||Thu|
|INDIAN SPRING RD||4/23/2020||Thu|
|GREEN BEECH DR||4/23/2020||Thu|
|POND RIDGE CT||4/23/2020||Thu|
|TOP SAIL RD||4/24/2020||Fri|
|PINE POINT RD||4/27/2020||Mon|
|OLD WHARF RD||4/27/2020||Mon|
|SOUTH BEACH DR||4/28/2020||Tue|
Hydrant flushing ads are placed in The Hour and/or Wilton Bulletin newspapers and on our website throughout the flushing schedule period.
Hydrant flushing can cause temporary discolored water and/or localized pressure fluctuations. This activity may cause some temporary customer inconvenience, but does not pose a health threat. The discolored water is caused by the removal of accumulated iron and manganese that have settled in the main.
The following tips are recommended during this period:
- Please check the color of your water before using.
- Avoid washing clothes or using hot water during periods of temporarily discolored water.
- If your water is temporarily discolored, run the COLD water in your bathtub. The time it takes for the water to clear will vary depending on your location and the length of your service pipe. You should run the water periodically and if it is still discolored, wait about 15 minutes and repeat this procedure.
Why we flush our hydrants
- Hydrant flushing plays an important role in our operation and maintenance program.
- Water quality can deteriorate during delivery from the treatment plant to the consumer due to a number of factors including distance from treatment plant, proximity to dead-end mains, type and condition of mains, and water flow patterns.
- Hydrant flushing can improve water quality by removing accumulated sediment. Additional benefits of hydrant flushing include maintaining chlorine disinfection levels, eliminating taste and odor problems and controlling bacterial growth.
- Hydrant flushing provides an opportunity for the department to check the amount of water flow available at each hydrant, as well as the hydrant’s mechanical operation.
- The overall benefits of the hydrant flushing program far outweigh the temporary inconvenience associated with the program.