South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW), a water and electric utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut, is currently accepting applications for the following position:
Grounds Utility Worker 1
Primarily responsible for performing all routine grounds maintenance duties associated with keeping property of the Second Taxing District well maintained and its watershed lands in the best of health and appearance. This is an entry level position in our Water Operations Department. The intent of this position is to advance over time with training provided by SNEW to allow the successful candidate to advance into water plant operations or distribution maintenance.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performs all routine grounds maintenance operations including routine equipment servicing, building maintenance, cleaning, cutting, landscaping, forestry work, lawn maintenance, pesticide application and related duties. These responsibilities involve working with chain saws, pole pruners, commercial mowers, weed cutters, backpack sprayers, and various other hand or power tools.
- Participates in the maintenance of all dams, channels, reservoirs, grounds and other related structures. These duties will include general care, planting, cutting and snow removal.
- An Emergency Work Requirement and On-Call Duty, when assigned.
Ability to use hand or power tools. Knowledge of or ability to learn how to apply pesticides in compliance with State regulations. Physical stamina to operate lawn mowers, shovel and spread topsoil. Knowledge of or ability to learn how to fell trees properly. Ability to learn adequate working knowledge of treatment plant operations and ability to operate and work from a bucket truck.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Must obtain State of Connecticut Pesticide Applicator License within two years of employment.
- Certification by the State of Connecticut as a Commercial Forest Practitioner-Forest Products Harvester within two years of employment.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. Applications must be received by April 22, 2022 to be considered. EOE
- Grounds Worker
- September 19, 2022