SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,500 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
The Staff Accountant must be knowledgeable in accounting procedures, general business and office procedures, must be capable of learning new industry-specific accounting programs and skilled in MS Excel. The Staff Accountant is capable of working with limited supervision. The Staff Accountant is directly accountable to the Accounting Supervisor and is able to produce complete and accurate trial balances in a timely manner to ensure that pertinent accounting records are up to date and available as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Associate’s degree in business administration, accounting or related field and four (4) years hands on experience with computerized accounting systems or significant equivalent hands on experience of seven (7) years with computerized accounting systems.
- Skilled MS Excel user.
- Basic knowledge of office procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of accounting procedures.
- Ability to operate office machinery and equipment.
- Ability to utilize good communicative skills, both written and oral.
- Ability and willingness to grow with office automation and technology.
- Ability to perform accounting functions from original entry phase to the adjusted trial balance phase.
- Detailed knowledge of payroll, inventory, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, capital projects, cash management and vendor/customer relations.
- Physical stamina to work for extended periods at computer work station and/or desk.
- Ability to analyze vendor/customer problems involving payments and cash receipts.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of organization policy procedures and structure.
- Ability to perform in a professional manner when working with coworkers and other departments.
- Ability to use good judgment and experience in making proper assignments and setting priorities to optimize/enhance accounting operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review, prepare and control payroll from the time sheet phase to final general ledger posting and internal and external reconciliation.
- Review, prepare and control inventory transactions.
- Perform job and project costing analysis.
- Review and maintain miscellaneous accounts receivables modules from billing phase to collection phase.
- Operate accounts payable module from voucher entering phase to the general ledger posting phase to include required reconciliations.
- Apply cash receipts to customer accounts accurately and timely.
- Maintain daily cash balance, prepare daily deposits, and maintain and account for department funds.
- Manage operational capital projects from opening to closing.
- Aid in the preparation of financial and business reports as directed.
- Support other general accounting activities, including data entry.
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by June 21, 2020 for consideration. EOE
- June 21, 2020