SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
The Accounting Clerk position is responsible for performing all functions of accounts receivable and accounts payable including maintaining accurate accounting records and files. The Accounting Clerk works under the supervision of the Accounting Supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
1. Associates degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in accounting, business administration or related field.
2. One year related bookkeeping experience and/or training; or B.S. degree in accounting, business administration or related field.
1. Basic knowledge of office procedures.
2. General knowledge of accounting procedures.
3. Ability to operate office machinery and equipment.
4. Ability to utilize good communication skills, both written and oral.
5. Ability to learn new office automation and technology.
6. Ability to perform basic accounting functions.
7. Knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, basic cash management and vendor/customer relations.
8. Ability to analyze vendors and customer problems involving payments and receipts.
9. Basic knowledge and understanding of organizational policy, procedures and structure.
10. Basic knowledge and understanding of accounting controls as required to enhance payment and receivables operations.
11. Ability to perform in a professional manner when working with coworkers and other departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Processes all invoices including preparing accounts payable vouchers, assigning tracking numbers, entering invoices into the Accounts Payable system, generating checks for signature and filing paid vouchers.
2. Processes payroll including auditing timesheets, tracking employee sick/ personal/ vacation leave time, and reconciliation.
3. Processes all receivables including creating cash batches in the Accounts Receivable system, verifying and updating cash register batches and making daily deposits.
4. Generates monthly bill runs and insures timely mailing.
5. Applies miscellaneous charges to accounts.
6. Updates and maintains current inventory.
7. Processes job startups through full cycle.
8. Prepares analysis of accounts, capital assets, work orders, other reports and assists with special projects as directed.
9. Maintains all Accounting Department files.
10. Provides coverage for customer service as needed.
11. Performs other duties as assigned, including working in another Department under another job description if required and qualified.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted by May 15, 2020 for consideration. EOE
- May 15, 2020