SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
The Accounting Supervisor is directly accountable to the Comptroller and is responsible for the day-to-day accounting operations and supervision of the Staff Accountants and Accounting Clerk. The Accounting Supervisor is able to operate a complete computerized accounting system, up to, and including general ledger, to produce complete and accurate financial statements in a timely manner to insure that accounting records are up-to-date and available as needed.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
1. A Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, management, information systems, or in a related field and five (5) years significant related experience in computerized accounting.
2. Experience in the use of computers with the ability to learn new accounting software.
3. Mastery of MS Excel and/or other data analytic tools.
1. Ability to evaluate the performance of staff under his/her supervision.
2. Detailed knowledge of computerized accounting procedures. Ability to direct and oversee necessary functions related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, fixed assets job costing, and general ledger.
3. Ability to rearrange work schedules to accommodate priorities.
4. General knowledge of laws and regulations governing employment and human rights.
5. Ability to design and generate accurate computerized financial reports as directed by the Comptroller or General Manager.
6. A high level of knowledge in office procedures.
7. A high level of knowledge in accounting procedures.
8. Ability to understand the management process.
9. Ability to operate office machinery and equipment.
10. Ability to utilize good communicative skills, both written and oral.
11. Ability and willingness to grow with office automation and technology.
12. Ability to recommend, develop and implement accounting procedures for all accounting areas as directed by the Comptroller.
13. Detailed knowledge of payroll, inventory, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management and vendor/customer relations.
14. Physical stamina to work for extended periods at computer work station or desk.
15. Ability to analyze vendor/customer problems involving payments and cash receipts.
16. Basic knowledge and understanding of organizational policy, procedures and structures.
17. Basic knowledge and understanding of accounting controls as required to enhance payroll, fixed assets, inventory, payment, and receivable operations.
18. Ability to perform in a professional manner when working with coworkers and other departments.
19. Ability to direct, train and coordinate the work of the Staff Accountants and Accounting Clerk.
20. Ability to use good judgment and experience in making proper assignments and setting priorities to optimize/enhance accounting operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Reviews and supervises the reconciliation of bank statements.
2. Supervises or prepares journal entries to general ledger.
3. Generates monthly and annual financial statements and reports as directed by the Comptroller or General Manager.
4. Supervises the daily work assignments of the accounting staff.
5. Provides data, assistance and other information to the Department’s external auditor.
6. Performs all daily, weekly and monthly reconciliations of bank statements, cash, and all customer payment channels including credit card and ACH.
7. Assist in managing and control of payroll from the time sheet phase to final general ledger posting and internal and external reconciliation.
8. Assist in managing and control of inventory transactions.
9. Review and maintain miscellaneous accounts receivables module from billing phase to collection phase.
10. Supervises accounts payable module from voucher entering phase to the general ledger posting phase to include required reconciliation.
11. Supervises application of cash receipts to customer account in an accurate and timely manner.
12. Supervises daily cash balance, prepares daily deposits, and maintains and accounts for company interest fund.
13. Supervises and assists in the preparation of financial and business reports as directed.
14. Supports and assists other general accounting activities as requested.
15. Manages fixed assets to include capitalization, depreciation, capital expense, write-offs and disposal, and physical verification (tagging) and reconciliation
16. Performs other miscellaneous duties, as assigned.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by August 28, 2020 for consideration. EOE
- August 28, 2020