South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
APPRENTICE LINE WORKER
The Apprentice Line Worker works in a team environment with the Line Manager, Substation & Electric Distribution Engineers and Director of Electric Operations by:
- Safely performing line work to construct, maintain, troubleshoot and repair all distribution voltage primary and secondary overhead and underground systems, including street lighting and substation equipment under the direction of the Line Manager.
- This includes poles, wires, guys, fuses, switches, interrupters, transformers, capacitors, lighting, switchgear, disconnects, circuit switchers, batteries and other electric distribution system equipment.
Through a Four-Year Apprenticeship and on-the-job training, the Apprentice Line Worker must demonstrate an ability to learn:
- SNEW’s Electric Rules & Regulations and Safety Policy.
- Street lighting and overhead and underground electric distribution system maintenance, construction, troubleshooting practices.
- A working knowledge of the implantation and limitation of tools, material and equipment.
- Energized and de-energized electrical work, cable splicing and flagging.
- How to request, write, check and perform substation and line switching (CONVEX TD800).
- The operation of Aerial Lifts, Bucket and Digger/Derrick Trucks and other line equipment in a proper and safe manner.
- The process to improve mapping and circuit diagrams.
- The ability to maintain good physical condition and having normal hearing and vision.
- The ability to work indoors or outdoors.
- The ability to work in standing position for extended periods of time including the ability to climb poles or structures and perform required work off the ground on ladders, staging, or aerial lifts without being susceptible to dizziness or easily distracted.
- Being available and responding to emergencies after hours and as part of the weekly on-call rotation.
- Performing other duties and attend training as assigned.
- High school, vocational trade school, or trade school diploma or GED
- Ability to complete NEPPA’s Four year Line Worker Apprenticeship Program
- Current, valid CT Class D Driver’s License.
- A current CT Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class B license (without restrictions E, G, or R) or ability to obtain.
- Certificate of completeness for First Aid, CPR and pole-top & bucket rescue or ability to obtain.
- Must live within 30 minutes commute to the utility.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted by May 18, 2018 for consideration. EOE
- Electric Operations
- May 18, 2018