SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
The Comptroller is directly accountable to the General Manager, and is responsible for all of SNEW’s day-to-day financial operations. The Comptroller’s financial responsibilities include financial reporting, cash management, financial planning & analysis, risk management, budgeting and audit preparation.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or business administration, and seven (7) years significant job related experience, at least 3 in a supervisory capacity, in accounting or finance.
- Hands-on experience in the installation, use, and/or modification of enterprise-wide financial systems, consisting of at least general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, fixed assets and payroll.
- Expert MS Excel user. Experience with Tableau and/or other analytic tools preferred.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting functions and basic office procedures as it applies to a finance department.
- Ability to evaluate the performance of staff under his/her direction.
- Ability to work with all types of people under varying circumstances and to interface with all departments within the organization.
- Working knowledge of computers and related software.
- General knowledge of business administration and principles of accounting.
- Availability for occasional evening meetings.
- Mental stamina to work under conditions with multiple priorities and the ability to determine which is most important.
- Ability to keep up with constantly changing technical and regulatory information.
- General knowledge of regulations governing employment law and human rights.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Continually evaluates the operations and effectiveness of financial processes and systems, and of internal and external service delivery
- Maintains/improves the internal accounting functions
- Evaluates and directs the employees under his/her supervision.
- Prepares financial reports according to applicable accounting and reporting standards
- Conducts financial analyses as required by management
- Supervises the preparation of payroll, state and federal reports, and other reports as required
- Works with SNEW’s auditing firm to assure timely completion of the annual audit and to assure the effectiveness of financial controls
- Directs financial data entry functions including those required for the timely closure of capital projects
- Provides financial support for operating departments
- Prepares SNEW’s annual budget with the cooperation and support of operating departments, department heads, Directors and General Manager
- Performs other miscellaneous duties, as assigned.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by September 25, 2020 for consideration. EOE
- September 25, 2020