SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water throughout Norwalk and surrounding areas and approximately 6,500 customers with electric in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community.
JOURNEYMAN – LINEWORKER
Requirements: The Line Worker works in a team environment with the Line Manager, the Substation Engineer, the Electric Distribution Engineer and others by:
- Safely performing line work to construct, maintain, troubleshoot and repair all distribution voltage primary and secondary overhead and underground distribution systems, including street lighting and substation work under the direction of the Line Manager.
- This includes poles, wires, guys, switches, interrupters, transformers, capacitors, lighting and other attachments.
- The ability to learn, abide by and enforce SNEW’s Electric Rules & Regulations and Safety Policy.
- Having a thorough knowledge of street lighting and overhead and underground electric distribution system maintenance, construction, troubleshooting practices.
- Having a working knowledge of the implantation and limitation of tools, material and equipment.
- The ability to perform energized and de-energized electrical work.
- The ability to request, write, check and perform substation and line switching (TD800).
- The ability to become certified in cable splicing and flagging.
- Operating Aerial Lifts, Bucket Truck and Digger/Derrek Trucks and other line equipment in a proper and safe manner.
- Communicating improvements in mapping and circuit diagrams.
- Maintaining a good physical condition and having normal hearing and vision.
- The ability to work indoors or outdoors.
- The ability to work in standing position for extended periods of time including the ability to climb poles or structures and perform required work off the ground on ladders, staging, or aerial lifts without being susceptible to dizziness or easily distracted.
- Being available and responding to emergencies after hours and as part of the weekly on-call rotation.
- Performing other duties and attend training as assigned.
- High school, vocational trade school, or trade school diploma or GED
- Completion of Four –to-five year Apprenticeship Program with mandatory on‐the‐job training at a recognized school, trade association or utility program
- Completion of Journeyman Program with mandatory on‐the‐job training at a recognized school, trade association or utility program
- Current, valid CT Class Two License and Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class B (without restrictions E, G, or R)
- Certificate of completeness for First Aid, CPR and pole-top & bucket rescue
- Must live within 30 minutes commute to the utility
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application packet is available at South Norwalk Electric & Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on our Website at www.snew.org. Applications must be submitted by September 4, 2019 for consideration.
- Electric Operations
- September 04, 2019