SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,000 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
METER TECHNICIAN I
The Meter Technician I position is responsible for reading, connecting, disconnecting and installing and testing water meters and single phase and polyphase self-contained electric meters in addition to the duties and responsibilities of the Meter Reader. The Meter Technician works under the supervision of the Metering Supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
1. High school diploma or technical school.
2. Three (3) years formal electrical technician training or meter technician experience, or relevant experience.
3. Plumbing experience, knowledge or aptitude.
4. Knowledge of various types of instruments used by a Meter Department.
5. Strong math skills especially in algebra and geometry.
6. Must be fluent in English, both verbal and written.
7. Must maintain a current and valid CT Driver’s License.
8. Must live within 30 minute commute of the utility.
9. Must attend training meetings at various locations, including out-of-state overnight meetings.
1. Ability to learn locations of pits and hidden meters and access meters.
2. Knowledge of the service area desirable.
3. Ability to climb stairs; walk long distances daily (5 to 10 miles) and to perform duties in inclement weather.
4. Ability to work under conditions that require extreme care and detail.
5. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
6. Ability to interpret drawings and diagrams pertaining to assigned work.
7. Ability to communicate effectively and professionally when dealing with customers
8. Ability to obtain confined space entry training and certification and to enter confined spaces as necessary.
9. Availability for emergency call and overtime as needed.
10. Ability to learn skills to become a meter technician.
11. Ability to operate a motor vehicle in a safe and professional manner.
12. Ability to work effectively with others.
13. Ability to use computers, tablets and other technology on a daily basis.
14. Participate in required training which may be conducted at locations, in and out of the state.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Master all meter reading routes and effectively operates automated meter reading equipment.
2. Performs meter readings, testing, disconnection/reconnection, and shut offs. Checks for stopped meters, illegal hookups, and other metering and customer service problems.
3. Install and remove water and electric meters and associated wiring.
4. Keeps accurate records and files paperwork for meter changes.
5. Enters data into computers. Reviews data for unusually high or unusually low consumption.
6. Handles all contact with customers and the public in a respectful and courteous manner.
7. Effectively handles and uses various electric and water test equipment.
8. Performs tests, calibrates and records test results on all electric single-phase and multi-phase meters, and on residential and commercial water meters.
9. Diagnoses meter related billing complaints as directed by supervisor.
10. Handles all contact with customers and the public in a respectful and courteous manner.
11. Performs Emergency Work when assigned.
12. Performs any other duties assigned by the Metering Supervisor or Director of Customer Care, including working in another department and under a different job description, if required and qualified.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by February 13, 2020 for consideration. EOE
- February 13, 2020