SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water (SNEW) is a municipal electric and water utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut. SNEW serves some 9,500 customers with water in the greater Norwalk area and approximately 6,500 customers with electricity in South Norwalk. The District also maintains parks and other public spaces in the South Norwalk community. SNEW is a utility and is currently accepting applications for the following position:
BILINGUAL CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
The Customer Service Representative is responsible for providing outstanding customer service to water and electric customers regarding billing inquiries, service transfers and collections of accounts both over the telephone and in person.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a customer service representative or must have worked in a banking position with emphasis on handling money and dealing with customers.
- Valid Connecticut driver’s license.
- Advanced computer abilities with strong Excel.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Skilled in problem solving.
- Aptitude for math.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Must have a positive and friendly work ethic and attitude.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn computerized customer accounting system.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations with regards to customer accounts and consumption.
- Ability to answer the telephone in an informed and professional manner.
- Ability to remain calm and professional during busy times and/or when dealing with difficult customers.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to handle and collect money with integrity including operation of electronic cash register.
- Ability to work with hardship customers sensitively.
- Ability to learn how to perform title searches of land records at city hall.
- Ability and mental stamina to follow up on all aspects of the position.
- Ability and mental stamina to relate and interface well with coworkers, customers, financial institutions, vendors, and attorneys.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to handle all customers, including aggressive, rude, and difficult customers politely and in a business‐like manner.
- Processes customer application forms for new and current customers, determines related charges for the service requested, collects deposits, prepares change of address records, and issues discontinuance orders as directed.
- Communicates with customers by phone or in person and receives orders for installation, connection, disconnection, or change in service.
- Assists customers with their various account inquiries.
- Operates the cash register, collects over‐the‐counter payments, and balances the cash drawer on a daily basis.
- Posts payments and adjustments, and issues service orders as directed by the Customer Service Supervisor or Director of Customer Care.
- Assists with collections, billing, credit records, and security deposits.
- Obtains information regarding property transfers including issuing service orders.
- Responsible for maintaining current customer account records in the billing system including scanning new activity.
- Assists in the preparation of reports, documents, and other information as directed by the Customer Service Supervisor or the Director of Customer Care.
- Opens and sorts mail, and answers and directs telephone calls within the organization professionally.
- Scans checks and makes daily bank deposits for SNEW.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the Customer Service Supervisor and/or Director of Customer Care and/or the General Manager, including working in another Department under another job description, if required and qualified.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package. An application is available at South Norwalk Electric and Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on the Employee Application link on our website at www.snew.org. Please email all applications to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted by January 7, 2021 for consideration. EOE
- January 07, 2021