SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water, a water and electric utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut, is currently accepting applications for the following position:
GROUNDS & FORESTRY SUPERVISOR
The Grounds and Forestry Supervisor is responsible for the complete management, operation and maintenance of SNEW’s real property. You will need to prepare and evaluate forestry plans, supervise, execute the watershed inspection program, and supervise the maintenance of all SNEW landscaping. You will also work closely with forestry consultants and State agency personnel. The Grounds and Forestry Supervisor shall directly supervise the maintenance and operation staff; assign workloads, and account for all personnel under his/her direction.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Valid Connecticut Driver’s License.
- Four years significant job related experience in any of the following fields: landscaping, forestry, grounds maintenance or related field and an Associate Degree in forestry, forest technology, Environmental Science or Engineering, Environmental Biology or a related field or a Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Forestry practices, Environmental Science or Engineering, Environmental Biology or related field.
- Licensed by the State of Connecticut with a Supervisor’s License for Pesticide Application.
- Certification by the State of Connecticut as a Commercial Forest Practitioner (classification: Forester).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Trains and supervises grounds maintenance staff, including part-time and temporary summer staff.
- Maintain accurate records on all maintenance, repairs of real property, and recommend improvements on appearance and maintenance of real property.
- Implement safety-training program for all grounds maintenance employees.
- Applies pesticides and herbicides, as required and oversees the application of it by grounds maintenance employees.
- Maintain all real property including office grounds, pump stations, tank sites, watershed properties and other owned facilities.
- Responsible for landscaping and reforestation of construction projects.
- Assists in the collection of watershed samples, as needed.
- Performs watershed inspections, as directed and updates watershed maps and records, as required.
- An emergency work requirement and on-call duty when assigned.
- Supervise and direct the activities of others.
- Technical knowledge of machinery and the ability to operate and maintain equipment.
- Physical stamina to lift logs or trees, operate machinery on steep embankments, stand for up to 8 hours.
- Ability to work outdoors year round.
- Attend seminars
- Ability to evaluate employee’s work performance.
- Ability to conduct a Connecticut Department of Health Services approved watershed inspection program and required reporting.
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefit package including participation in the CMERS pension program. Applications can be found on our website at https://www.snew.org/jobs-rfp/careers/. Please email all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by February 28, 2022 for consideration. EOE
- February 28, 2022