SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water, a water and electric utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut, is currently accepting applications for the following position:
MAINTENANCE II OPERATOR
Working Foreman / Equipment Operator
Primary Responsibility: Under general supervision, the Foreman/Operator is responsible for managing and directing the activities of a specialized Underground Utilities crew. Coordinates daily work to ensure schedules are followed and work is completed efficiently, effectively and on time. Responsible for solving routine problems of limited scope and complexity and informs supervisors of more complex problems. Must be experienced digging trenches for all underground utilities including sewer, storm water and secondary utility.
Requirements: High School diploma, a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL), Class B (without restrictions E, G or R), five years water or electric system maintenance and construction experience or eight years underground utility production plant maintenance, experience in plumbing, pipe fitting, underground utility installation, building maintenance, rotating equipment maintenance and water metering system. Knowledge of cross connection practices, understanding of basic hydraulic head loss theory including ability to perform and understand hydrant flushing and flow testing with an understanding of disinfection practice and procedures. Candidate must demonstrate competency in the safety areas of confined space entry, lockout-tag out, trench and excavation, and construction traffic control and must live within 30 minutes commute to the Wilton filtration plant or the Water Street office in Norwalk.
- Inspects work areas before, during and upon completion of assigned tasks to ensure the quality and accuracy of the work adheres to the project specifications and that the crew meets productivity expectations.
- Communicates all construction needs — material, equipment and staffing – to the Maintenance Supervisor in order to prevent delays.
- Completes required paperwork on a daily/weekly basis and submits to the Maintenance Supervisor (Work Forms, equipment/vehicle inspection reports, etc.).
- Transports employees, hand tools, electric/gas equipment and miscellaneous supplies required for scheduled daily tasks.
- Reads and understands project plans and specifications thoroughly.
- Inspects equipment with operators and reports any equipment in need of maintenance or repair to the Operations Manager; ensures cleanliness of equipment assigned to the crew.
- Maintains cleanliness of company vehicle and ensures that he/she adheres to all company vehicle policies and procedures.
- Monitors the safety of the assigned crew and complies with all safety policies, standards and procedures; conducts “Toolbox” discussions on a weekly basis; address any issues with his crew.
- Wears appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) at all times while on the jobsite (i.e. vest, earplugs, glasses, hard hat, etc.)
- Maintains a professional working relationship with inspectors, sub-contractors, vendors and fellow employees.
- Performs additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug screen, Driving Record & Background Check
- OSHA 10
- Legal working Status
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package. An application packet is available at South Norwalk Electric & Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854, by emailing Hr@snew.org or on our website at www.snew.org. Applications must be submitted by March 19, 2018 for consideration. EOE
- Water Maintenance and Construction
- March 19, 2018