SOUTH NORWALK ELECTRIC AND WATER
South Norwalk Electric and Water, a water and electric utility owned and operated by the Second Taxing District, Norwalk, Connecticut, is currently accepting applications for the following position:
MAINTENANCE I OPERATOR
The Maintenance I position is a gateway opportunity to a long and fulfilling career in municipal waterworks. Working with a team of experienced professionals, the maintenance crew provides an essential service to the community, namely a reliable supply of water fit for human consumption. Primary responsibilities for this job include all aspects of maintenance and construction such as locating water mains and electric conduits, construction work, general maintenance, janitorial services, changing meters, completing work orders, repairing water main breaks, maintenance of pump stations, tanks, dams, and filtration plant, light maintenance work on SNEW vehicles, installation and maintenance of electric vaults and conduits, and any other maintenance to be performed. This is a physically demanding job at times and has inherent danger – safety is extremely important and enforced at all times.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
High School diploma, valid Connecticut driver’s license. Must obtain a valid Connecticut Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class B (without restrictions E, G, or, R) within one year of employment. Must live within 30 minutes commute to the 164 Water Street office or the Wilton filtration plant. Must gain competency through training and maintain competency through continuing education in the safety areas of confined space entry, lockout-tag out, trench and excavation and construction traffic control within two (2) years of employment.
- Ability to learn to read and understand schematic drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to work with electronic equipment.
- Ability to apply learned mathematical calculations when disinfecting water mains.
- Ability to operate or learn to operate heavy equipment including jack hammers
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Availability for emergency call and on-call duty.
- Physical stamina to properly perform various labor services during inclement weather and environmentally negative conditions (fumes, dust, dirt, fallen limbs) and lift 100 lbs., as needed. Climb in and out of trenches, hand digging as necessary with shovels in delicate areas.
- Complete all paperwork and keep track of inventory used
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn and apply all safety procedures on the job is required.
- Ability to build concrete forms, mix and pour concrete.
- Ability to withstand noise, fumes from pumps and vehicles, odors from underground pipes, work with asbestos and chemicals on a constant, ongoing basis, all in accordance with the Department’s safety procedures.
- Ability to perform outside duties in all types of weather on a year round basis.
- Ability to work long hours overtime to repair main breaks and for other emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Locates water mains with electronic equipment.
- Taps water mains for connection.
- Installs and repairs water mains, fire hydrants, electric conduits and vaults, and other utility equipment.
- Disinfects water mains.
- Performs pressure tests on new installations.
- Reads simple schematic diagrams of water mains and valve locations and is able to record tap and gate locations.
- Changes water meters and maintains accurate records of all changes.
- Performs building maintenance.
- Locates service lines and leaks. In the case of a leak, makes an initial determination of whose responsibility it is to repair (the Department versus the customer).
- An Emergency Work Requirement and On-Call Duty, when assigned.
- Performs maintenance on pumps, tanks, generators, hydrants and other distribution system and filtration plant facilities.
- Routinely checks vehicles and equipment, oil, coolant, safety items before use
- Assists Grounds Maintenance with snow removal, as needed.
- Wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment as necessary (hard hats, hearing protection, eye protection, gloves, boots etc.)
SNEW offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package. An application packet is available at South Norwalk Electric & Water, One State Street, Norwalk, CT 06854 or on our website at www.snew.org. Applications must be submitted by November 15, 2019 for consideration. EOE
- Water Maintenance and Construction
- November 15, 2019